This letter is to implore you to permanently eliminate the current estate, gift and generation-skipping tax laws, now referred to
as the “death tax” as soon as possible. Since the current repeal does not occur until 2010 and then only occurs for one year, my family and I cannot plan for any reduction or elimination of this
death tax. Some of the reasons that I believe this tax is unfair and should be eliminated are:
1) It is the highest rate of tax in our tax code [47%]
2) It is taxed on families at the worst time, at the time of a death in the family
3) It is a tax on assets that have already been taxed-at least twice
4) It is a tax on savings instead of spending
5) You should not have to pay a 80% tax to gift to your grandchildren.
I encourage you to support any legislation that supports permanent elimination of the death tax, which means the gift, estate and generation-skipping tax.[ Insert Personal Story] I realize that we are in times of budget deficits, but families work hard and need help now. We cannot wait to plan our deaths, so please don’t wait to eliminate the death tax.